Sunday, November 19, 2017
   
Text Size

China nursery blast: 'Seven dead' in Jiangsu explosion

PDFPrintE-mail

Attack-9157Seven people have been killed and at least 66 injured in an explosion at a nursery in China, state media say.

 

Official news agency Xinhua said the blast took place just outside the kindergarten in Fengxian county in the eastern province of Jiangsu.

 

It is not known how many children are among the casualties.

 

The cause of the blast is not clear but unconfirmed media reports suggest it could have been caused by a gas canister at a food stall.

 

The explosion happened at about 17:00 (09:00 GMT) just as parents were picking up their children from the kindergarten.

 

Unverified images posted on social media show adults and children lying on the ground.

 

Video footage showed injured people holding crying children and one woman with burned clothing staggering unsteadily.

 

Two people were killed immediately and five others died from their injuries, Xinhua reported. Nine of the injured are said to be in a serious condition.

 

Police said they had launched an investigation.

 

It is the second tragedy to strike a Chinese kindergarten in recent weeks.

 

Last month 11 children died when a bus packed with kindergarten pupils burst into flames inside a tunnel in eastern Shandong province.


It later emerged that the fire had been started deliberately by the driver, who also died.



blog comments powered by Disqus

TOP HEADLINES

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Login